What’s better than a picnic? Probably a buffet!….But an outdoor spread is a spring/summer must-do activity! From parks covered in lush greenery to sandy nooks at Blue Flag beaches, there’s some great places to tuck into something tasty….(and please remember to dispose or recycle your litter!)
In no particular order….
- Margate Sea Defence Steps- This huge space is not only an excellent sea defence that protects our charming Old Town, but arguable one of the best spots to sit and enjoy your sandwiches, ice cream or fish n chips. Just watch out for the gulls! Especially beautiful when the tide is in.
2. King George VI Park, Ramsgate- A large, green park with children’s playground, small kiosk serving light snacks and teas and coffees and the charming Itialianate Glasshouse tea garden. Just a stone’s throw from the seafront right in the middle of Broadstairs and Ramsgate there is loads of green spaces to sit and enjoy your picnic.
3. Botany Bay, Broadstairs- one of our most picturesque bays. Sit beside the Chalk Stacks or on a grassy verge and lap up the sunshine!
4. Monkton Nature Reserve– A 16 acre wildlife oasis reclaimed from a former chalk quarry. Enjoy your lunch in the company of over 350 species of flowering plant, including 9 species of orchid, and 25 species of butterfly. Several picnic areas and benches throughout the site.
5. Broadstairs Promenade- Where to start?! Rows of benches set amongst quaint Victorian Gardens, densely populated with flowers. Sit by the Bandstand and watch a concert, or in the Clocktower seating area, wherever you go you’ll be overlooking the marvellous crescent-shaped Viking Bay.
6. Palm Bay- A vast green space with ample free parking bays nearby. Overlooks the beach.
7. Minnis Bay- A long stretch of sand with grassy verge. Great sunset picnic spot.
8.Ellington Park, Ramsgate. Huge, towering trees, a nature area and close proximity to Ramsgate Rail Station make this an excellent stop before you explore the rest of the town.
9. Quex Park, Birchington- A visit to the Powell Cotton Museum and stately home Quex House and Gardens is made even better by their charming picnic areas. Rest under the cool shade of the mature trees or next to the refreshing sound of the water fountain (entry fee applies). During the summer months you can also picnic near the Maize Maze.
10. Sandwich and Pegwell Bay Nature Reserve- Great for a family day out, this reserve is also a haven for nature lovers. Made up of a complex mosaic of habitats: inter-tidal mudflats, saltmarsh, shingle beach, sand dunes, ancient dune pastures, chalk cliffs, wave cut platform and coastal scrubland; there’s always more to discover on each visit.